Class Act: Kirsty hounoured at prestigious TAFE NSW awards
Tamworth Hairdressing student and Gunnedah local Kirsty McArthur has been honoured for her academic achievement and outstanding work ethic at the 2018 TAFE NSW Excellence Awards in Mudgee.
Ms McArthur, who completed a Certificate III in Hairdressing at TAFE NSW in Tamworth in 2017, was announced as the winner of the prestigious Apprentice of the Year Award, before taking out the top gong, the Student of the Year Award, at a gala awards ceremony at Blue Wren Winery yesterday.
TAFE NSW Regional General Manager Kate Baxter said this success topped off an outstanding 12 months for the talented hairdresser.
“These awards are a great opportunity to recognise our most passionate, industrious and skilful students. It’s very gratifying to see these students grow and transform their lives through education, with TAFE NSW equipping them with practical skills and work experience that ensures they are job ready,” Ms Baxter said.
“Kirsty has been an outstanding student from day one at TAFE NSW. She has put into practice the skills she has learnt in the classroom and is blossoming into a wonderful hairdresser at Studio 33 Hair Salon in Gunnedah.
“Just to emphasise how talented Kirsty really is, she won a bronze medal at the Regional Hairdressing WorldSkills finals in 2017 and was named the Student of Year for Hairdressing at TAFE NSW in Tamworth last year.”
Ms McArthur was nominated for the award by TAFE NSW Hairdressing teacher Ivy-Maree Tinson, who believes the recognition is thoroughly deserved.
“Kirsty has excelled in her hairdressing knowledge both on the job and in the classroom, and has a wonderful career ahead of her in this industry,” she said. “She is always happy to attend extra training, seminars and workshops to gain as much knowledge as possible.
“Kirsty is always well prepared, focused and extremely self-driven. To be able to achieve all this success is a credit to herself.”
Full list of award winners:
- Student of the Year: Kirsty McArthur - Tamworth;
- Apprentice of the Year: Kirsty McArthur - Tamworth;
- Trainee of the Year: Rezvan Abedi - Bathurst;
- School Based Apprentice/Trainee of the Year: Emika Denzel - Armidale;
- VET in Schools Student of the Year: Lara Follington - Tamworth;
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Student of the Year: Mandy Hall – Broken Hill;
- Industry Achievement Award (Agribusiness) Ardina Jackson - Armidale;
- Industry Achievement Award (Health, Wellbeing and Community Services) Belinda Roach - Dubbo;
- Industry Achievement Award (Infrastructure, Energy and Construction) Cody Towell - Dubbo;
- Industry Achievement Award (Technology and Business Services) Mandy Hall – Broken Hill;
- Industry Achievement Award (Tourism and Experience Services) Sara Salariosa - Tamworth;
- Aboriginal Elder of the Year: Aunty Pat Doolan – Dubbo.