Christmas Pavlova Recipe
TAFE NSW Hospitality Teacher Cameron Falzon admits that Christmas is the best time of year to show off your culinary skills to your family and friends!
And the best part is everyone can have a go, according to Cameron, whose hospitality career spans more than 15 years and has seen him work with some of the world’s best chefs across the world.
“No matter what level of skill you have in the kitchen, the Pavlova is really easy to make and an Aussie favourite at Christmas time,” he said. “This recipe is incredibly simple, but will ensure you produce an incredibly delicious dessert that is sure to be a real crowd pleaser.”
4 egg whites
1 cup caster (superfine) sugar
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1½ cups (375ml) single (pouring) cream
micro (baby) mint leaves, to serve
icing (confectioner’s) sugar, for dusting
Roasted raspberry jam
¾ cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Preheat oven to 220°C. To make the roasted raspberry jam, place the raspberries, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds in a small roasting tray and mix to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 25–30 minutes or until thickened. Set aside to cool completely. Remembering it will get thicker also once it cools
- Remove and discard the vanilla bean. Reduce oven temperature to 150°C (300°F). Place the egg white in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form. ( This looks like little pyramids with the top tipping over and meeting the sides) Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, waiting 30 seconds before adding another tablespoon.
- Once all the sugar has been incorporated, scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk for a further 6 minutes or until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Add the vinegar and whisk for a further 2 minutes or until glossy and combined.
- Place spoonful’s of the meringue onto a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Reduce temperature to 120°C and cook for 1 hour. Turn the oven off and allow the Pavlova to cool completely in the oven.
- Place the cream in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk to stiff peaks. Place the Pavlova on a large serving plate and crush slightly with the back of a large spoon. Spoon over the cream and drizzle with the roasted raspberry jam. Top with the blackberries and mint, and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Enrolments for a huge range of Hospitality and Commercial Cookery courses for 2018 at TAFE NSW in Tamworth and across western NSW are now being accepted. For information visit tafensw.edu.au or phone 131 601.